Ep. 8 – Make your relationships PROFIT – with Susie Miller
It was lovely having Susie Miller on the podcast. She’s a successful entrepreneur, podcaster, author and a Huffington Post contributing writer.
Susie’s super power is her willingness to discuss openly and honestly any topic. She feels that when people share and talk openly about what they’re feeling it builds collaboration and community, benefitting everyone.
She knows first-hand how hard it is to have a spouse and run your own business at the same time. “Entrespouse” is a term gaining in popularity and is something that Susie speaks to quite a bit. Often a spouse can feel like they’re competing with the business for the attention of the entrepreneur in the couple. This can really hurt the relationship.
In her work over the years with entrepreneurs, she found that “A lot of people were bankrupting their relationships in pursuit of success.”
Because of this issue, she found a way to tag the entrepreneur’s natural concern for profits to their personal life. This lead Susie to the P.R.O.F.I.T. Method.
- Priorities – We have plans for business or work, but not for our relationships. The things that are important to our spouses should be important to us. Every entrepreneur needs to understand how their actions communicate to their spouse.
- Rekindle – Over the years relationships can go from romance to roommates. We often get consumed with all we do for our businesses and we neglect our spouse. Rekindling the romance in the relationship has long-term benefits for the marriage.
- Open Up – Communication skills are of utmost importance in business and in maintaining important relationships. Having conversations, whether serious or fun and silly, are important as long as what’s being discussed is meaningful to both of you. Be aware of sharing too much or too little.
- Focus – Being present is an important part of business success, and it’s also a major part of relational success. When you’re at work, be there 100%. When you’re in your relationship, be there 100%. You also need to learn how to get back to the present moment when something pulls you away temporarily.
- Intentional Interactions – Be intentional in your interactions, and you can even utilize the technology you use daily in your business to bring you closer to your spouse.
- Tenacity – It takes hard work for a relationship to stay strong over time. You have to be tenacious and be willing to work hard on it. Be honest with your spouse in what will make your relationship be a lasting one.
Susie said something that will strike home with many entrepreneurs:
“Entrepreneurship is like a high-wire solo act, and marriage is about sharing and stability and two becoming one. They are so diametrically opposite that you really have to pause and think about it.”
Susie was a delight to speak with and she’s so insightful and experienced when it comes to helping entrepreneurs develop and maintain their relationships outside of the businesses they run. I learned so much from her and I’m sure you will as well.
SOME QUESTIONS I ASK:
- Why is Susie an entrepreneur?
- Was there a personal moment that led to her discovering the entrepreneur lifestyle?
- Was there a mentor or somebody who has really impacted her life and guided her?
- Does she have any stories about rock star couples who have turned their relationships around due to her help?
- What are some questions that entrepreneurs can ask themselves to engage their thinking and build up their relationships?
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU WILL LEARN:
- About the mentors that Susie has drawn much wisdom from
- Some stories from successful couples that she has coached
- Some questions that entrepreneurs can ask themselves to keep them on the right relational paths
- The type of legacy that Susie wants to leave the world with
- Plus much more…
GO MAKE AN IMPACT:
- Regarding your own relationships, ask yourself:
- Am I really listening to what my spouse is saying and communicating?
- What can I learn and embrace about my spouse today?
- How does my spouse show love, and how do they want love expressed to them?
DON’T STOP HERE…
- Learn more about Susie: Website
- The Better Relationship Podcast: iTunes
- Susie’s book ‘Listen, Learn, Love: How to Dramatically Improve Your Relationships in 30 Days or Less!’: Amazon
- Michael Hyatt’s Best Year Ever: Website
- Dan Miller of 48 Days: Website