This week’s episode is part three of the Champion’s Mindset series and I’m talking to Tyler Fox, a professional big wave surfer, Titan of Mavericks, Founder and CEO of Santa Cruz Waves Inc, and Founder of Santa Cruz Waves Magazine.
Big wave surfing, like many sports, requires diligent preparation. Surfers at Mavericks have to be ready to be jump out into an arena in front of hundreds of thousands of people watching when the right wave comes. Big wave surfers have to train their bodies, calm their minds, and know their equipment. Any error and you may find yourself being dragged 20 feet underwater.
“There’s no room for hesitation. You have to give it your all.”
Timing, commitment and endurance are all necessary to become a Titan of Mavericks, but these tenets will also help make you a titan of entrepreneurship.
- Timing – When are you starting this business? What is your competition doing? Do you need to stop doing something that is costing money? Timing is hugely important, but it’s also very difficult to master.
- Commitment – Entrepreneurs need to commit to their instinct and their decisions. If you think you have a good idea and the whole flock of sheep are walking the other way, don’t be discouraged.
- Endurance – Everyone runs into obstacles, but overcoming those obstacles is how we grow. It’s easy to quit when things are difficult, but anything worthwhile requires effort.
We’re all fascinated by champions and we often see them at their peak, but people don’t often think about champion’s struggling. Tyler was having a great year when he was nominated for Billabong XXL Biggest Wave Award and featured in magazines, but then his sponsor dropped him. Instead of quitting, which would have been easy, Tyler decided to take fate into his own hands and start his own business.
“A lot of times I think champions are where they are because of perseverance. They didn’t let a setback hinder them from getting to their goals.”
Tyler was an awesome guest. He gave us an idea of what it is like to experience some of the biggest waves on earth and went into detail on how the Champion’s Mindset has helped him succeed both in surfing and in his business. Check out Santa Cruz Waves to learn more about the area, check up on the surf and see some amazing surfing videos.
Don’t be a podcast junkie…
- Reach out to Tyler: Instagram | Facebook
- Learn more about Santa Cruz Waves: Website | Facebook | Twitter
- Watch Pro Surfer Tyler Fox Surfing in Santa Cruz to see him in action
- Watch GoPro: Mavericks 2014 to see what it’s like at Mavericks
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
- The Rise of Superman by Steven Kotler
This episode is brought to you by SY Partners and Unstuck, helping you make a change by identifying the things holding you up. Their new program “Life Courses” are based on decades of learning about what inspires people to change. It is created by SYPartners, a transformation company that helps individuals, teams, and organizations become the best version of themselves, so they can create massive positive impact in business and society.
To start making your change, visit Life Courses by Unstuck on the web.
We are also brought to you by the Lawton Marketing Group. A full service advertising and design agency serving companies and entrepreneurs at all levels. The are your one stop shop for all your web site, logo, social media, print, app design and reputable management needs.
Visit LawtonMG.com for more info.
Production & Development for The Impact Entrepreneur Show by Podcast Masters