Cameron Herold is back, and he’s been busy since we last talked on episode 52! Cameron started a new podcast, Second in Command, in which he interviews the chief behind the chief to learn the tips, systems, and insights of the chief who actually runs the business; the COO.
Cameron also has an excellent new book called Vivid Vision: A Remarkable Tool For Aligning Your Business Around a Shared Vision of the Future.
What’s a Vivid Vision?
Most entrepreneurs have an idea of what they want their company to look like. However, their employees can’t necessarily see that same vision; the movie in their head.
But if you can pull those ideas out of your mind and write it down on a 3 to 5-page document that describes your business three years in the future, with clarity, then they can get everybody to see what they can see.
Here are some other things to consider when drafting your Vivid Vision:
- The CEO writes it, and the COO’s job is to reverse engineer it and make it come true
- You talk about it in the finished state, as if it’s already done.
- Talk about the vision, and share it with everybody! “The more people that know where you’re going, the more they’ll help you get there.”
- Cameron suggests getting a copywriter to take your words and make them pop.
- Similarly, quality graphic design is a must because this is a forward-facing document that you share with customers, suppliers, bankers, employees, and prospects.
- Try creating an audio recording of your vivid vision so that you can re-listen to it, while doing other things, to reinforce it.
- You write the Vivid Vision in a way that it magnetizes people towards it – but if it attracts, it also has to push some people away. If you try to create something that everyone loves, no one actually cares.
- Every single sentence of that Vivid Vision becomes a future statement, and you can figure out one or two projects to make each sentence come true.”
If you want to see an excellent example of a vivid vision, check out what Cameron wrote for the COO Alliance’s City Forums: https://cooalliance.com/city-forums-vivid-vision.
“I want to replace vision statements with Vivid Visions, worldwide, because vision statements or mission statements don’t work and businesses have been starving for this piece.”
Don’t be a podcast junkie…
We are brought to you by the Lawton Marketing Group, a full-service advertising and design agency serving companies and entrepreneurs at all levels. They are your one-stop shop for all your website, logo, social media, print, app design and reputable management needs.
Visit LawtonMG.com for more info.