Patrick Lencioni is the founder of The Table Group and the bestselling author of 11 books. He is the architect of organizational health, a concept that he calls the last competitive advantage in business today.
Pat’s passion for leadership and organizational health can be traced all the way to his first exposure to business as a child, when his dad lamented about working for a company with “bad management.”
Pat didn’t really know what management was at the time, but he knew that it was a bummer for his dad – and he eventually learned, after starting his first job, that that was dysfunction.
“I’m passionate about helping organizations not be dysfunctional so that people like my dad don’t have to suffer through it, because we spend too many hours at work for it to be dysfunctional.”
Pat’s dad always wanted him to get a great job, and he did! He got the best job of anyone in his graduating class… and he was bored. “I was so un-attracted to data and analysis, and I was fascinated by the human beings I saw. I was watching really intelligent people make fundamental mistakes because of human behavior, ego, and things like that,” and he realized that he could help.
In Patrick’s most recent book, The Ideal Team Player: How to Recognize and Cultivate The Three Essential Virtues, he aims to help individuals make a difference in their own teams.
Pat identifies the three virtues that make some people better team players than others:
- Humility – If pride is the root of all sin, then humility is the antidote. “And human beings are attracted to others that are not tied up in themselves.”
- Hunger – If you want to be a great team player, you have to be the kind of person who works really hard. That doesn’t mean be a workaholic, but if you’re going to do something, do it well.
- Emotional Intelligence – You need common sense around other people; you have to understand how what you say impacts others, be sensitive to their needs, and consider what they’re thinking.
“If you are emotionally intelligent, hard working, and humble, your career will have no problems. I promise!”
Don’t be a podcast junkie…
- Learn more at TheTableGroup.com
- Connect with Pat: LinkedIn | Twitter
- Join Patrick for the Inaugural Organizational Health Summit (May 10, 2018)
We are brought to you by the Lawton Marketing Group, a full service advertising and design agency serving companies and entrepreneurs at all levels. The are your one stop shop for all your website, logo, social media, print, app design and reputable management needs.
Visit LawtonMG.com for more info.